Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
  • Locations: Nagoya, Japan
  • Program Terms: Academic Year, Fall, Spring
  • Homepage: Click to visit
Dates / Deadlines:
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Fall 2018 03/15/2018 04/05/2018 TBA TBA
Fact Sheet:
#i18n(14)#
Areas of Study: Any Minimum Undergraduate GPA: 2.5
Language of Instruction: English, Japanese Housing Options: Apartment-Shared, Apartment-Single, Dorm, Independent Housing, Residence Hall
Program Type: UTSA Abroad - Exchange Type of Credit: Transfer
Open to Non-UTSA Students: No
Program Description:

NUFS One SheetProgram Dates and Deadlines

For semester one, commencing September to January: Application deadline is April 30.
For semester two, commencing March to July:  Application deadline is October 31.

Minimum Requirements

  • Selected students must have a minimum 2.5 Cumulative GPA 
  • Sophomore status at the time of participation. 
  • Scholarships may be available to qualified applicants.

UTSA Costs

Student’s tuition will be paid to UTSA.  Students will be charged for 15 credits.  Room and board will be paid to Nagoya University of Foreign Studies. 

Estimated Personal Expenses

Participants in CJPN/ JLJSP are strongly urged to bring adequate funds to cover their personal expenses in Japan. Although personal expenses vary from individual to individual, approximately 80,000 to 100,000 yen per month (~833.76-1,042.60 USD), including accommodation charges, should be adequate.

Mandatory Health Insurance-National Health Insurance

National Health Insurance is administered by the city/town/village (local government) where one lives and all foreign nationals are required to enroll in this program. This insurance covers 70 percent of the total medical cost, which means that the patient pays only the remaining 30 percent at a hospital or at a dental practice.
 

Working in Nagoya

Students holding a college student visa are allowed by the Japanese Government to engage in a part-time job on the condition that the working hours should not exceed 28 hours a week as permitted by the Immigration Bureau.  However, students are not granted absences from classes because of part-time jobs.  Students should go to Japan with adequate financial support, which will enable them to pursue their studies without resorting to part-time jobs for financial survival.
 
 

Choosing Your Classes

Students may choose their courses by accessing the course website. 

Japanese Language and Japanese Studies (JLJSP)
The overall objective of the JLJSP lies in providing the students with high-quality Japanese language and cultural instruction, and thereby equipping them with the skills and motivation necessary in the pursuit of their academic goals. The main focus is on the mastery of the Japanese language.

Contemporary Japan Program in Nagoya (CJPN)
  • It has been observed that an increasing number of students from around the world become interested in Japan through contemporary cultural influences such as Japanese film and anime. This program has been developed to accommodate the demands of such students, and is offered to students who are interested in pursuing in-depth study of contemporary Japan. The CJPN is shaped by two unique concepts. The first is that the focus of the program extends beyond the overall aspects of contemporary Japan and explores the specific features of the Chubu Region, one of the most economically vibrant areas in Japan. In fact the headquarters of several world-famous companies are based in the region, including that of the Toyota Motor Corporation. In other words, this program encompasses a field of study that is unavailable elsewhere. The second is that many of the subjects offered in this program (including the Internship Program) are of a practical nature and have been designed to facilitate the students' career development.
  • Internship Program (elective)
    CJPN students will be offered an internship opportunity lasting for two to three weeks. UTSA students could qualify for the internship program. Under the Internship Program, possible placements include hotels, travel agencies, manufacturing companies, language schools, municipal offices, government affiliated associations, etc. Please note that we cannot guarantee a place for all applicants due to limited availability, qualifications of the applicants, etc., but will endeavor to ensure that as many students as possible will be accommodated. The Internship Program carries two credits.