International Education Fund (IEF)
The University of Texas at San Antonio awards study abroad scholarships through the International Education Fund. These scholarships range from $300 to $2,000 per student. Applications for the scholarship are assessed on the quality of several short essays, the student's demonstrated need, and the strength of their letter of recommendation. Applications are evaluated by the UTSA International Education Fund Committee.
Note: This is a competitive scholarship
and not all applicants will receive an award. The quality of an applicant's submissions is critical to their chances of receiving an award.
- Applicants must be UTSA students at the time of application and during their study abroad term.
- Applicants must identify and participate on a program that is approved by the UTSA Education Abroad office.
- The study abroad program must be for academic credit at UTSA. Experiences that do not receive credit, such as cultural tours, volunteering, or attending a conference abroad, are not eligible.
- Undergraduate students must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA; graduate students must have a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- Scholarship awardees must comply with all requirements, regulations, and policies established by the Office of International Programs at UTSA.
- Scholarship awardees are required to complete a report about their program upon their return and are expected to support the Education Abroad office at events and other outreach.
- Students are allowed to receive an IEF scholarship more than once.
When you click 'Apply Now', choose the IEF program term that corresponds with the term of your study abroad program, as follows:
- IEF summer term is for summer and spring break programs
- IEF fall term is for fall semester and academic year programs
- IEF spring term is for spring semester and winter (January term) programs
- Four essays of ~150 words each
- Summary of program costs and explanation of financial need
- One electronic recommendation*
* Your recommender must be a UTSA faculty (e.g., professor, lecturer, teaching assistant) or a UTSA staff member (e.g., supervisor, advisor, staff mentor). Your recommender cannot be the leader of your study abroad program. Non-UTSA recommenders will not be considered. You should choose a recommender who can speak to your character, abilities, and overall merit for this competitive award.
Page quick link: http://studyabroad.utsa.edu/?go=IEF