Skip to content

Passports & Visas

Before you study abroad, it’s important to make sure that you have the required travel documents. Be sure any documentation you have, such as your passport, is valid.


A valid passport is your most important travel document. It is required that you present it when you leave and re-enter the United States. It will be needed to prove your citizenship as you enter and exit other countries.

Please note that each country will have different passport validity requirements for permitting entry. For example, many countries require that a passport be valid for at least three to six months beyond the intended period of stay. A passport with inadequate validity may result in your being refused entry into a particular country.

Be sure to check the validity requirements of the country or countries you intend to study in and/or visit before you depart. Country-specific entry and exit requirements for U.S. citizens can be found online. You may contact the U.S. embassy or consulate of a particular country for further information.

Resources for Travelers

To learn more about the passport application process, visit the U.S Department of State.
To determine the cost of replacing or renewing a passport.

Passports for Non-U.S. Citizens

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need to make sure that you have a valid passport from your country of citizenship. If your current passport has expired or been lost/misplaced, you will need to make arrangements to get a new one at your country’s nearest embassy or consulate.


Entry and exit requirements for each country vary. For U.S. citizens, the U.S. Department of State’s provides Consular Information Sheets detailing entry and exit requirements for every country. 
  • A visa is written proof that you have authorization to enter a country where you are not a citizen.
  • If you are participating in a UTSA Faculty-led or Reciprocal Exchange program, the faculty/staff member leading your program or Education Abroad Services will inform you of any visa and document requirements for the country in which the program will take place.
  • It is the responsibility of the student to obtain the appropriate visa.
  • If you are participating in a third-party provider program or Research/Internships/Volunteer abroad experience, you may be responsible for obtaining your own visa.
    Some program providers do provide visa assistance services.

Visas for Non-U.S. Citizens

If you are not a U.S. citizen please check with the consulate or embassy for your destination country in your home country.

For example, if you are a Mexican citizen studying abroad in Spain for the semester, you will need to contact the Spanish Embassy’s consular services in Mexico.