Skip to content

Risk Management Toolbox

Faculty Handbook

Faculty & Program Director Study Abroad Handbook 

International SOS

International SOS provides 24/7 access to English-speaking doctors, medical referrals, and evacuation assistance, as well as regional and country-specific risk and safety reporting.

All UTSA study abroad faculty and staff members are required to register their trip with International SOS.

MyTrips Travel Information Forward
Follow the below steps to forward your travel information to MyTrips. Completing these steps is critical for your registration for international insurance coverage.

1. Go to MyTrips
Follow this link

2. Create a MyTrips account
Click on “New User? Register here” and set up your (the traveler’s) account. Important: the email address that you enter must be the same one that you use to forward your flight itinerary in step 3. Save the Username and Password in a secure place.

3. Forward your itinerary
When you have your confirmed flight itinerary from your airline, forward it to from the same e-mail address that you used to create your MyTrips account in step 2. You do not need to change or add anything to the email; simply forward the itinerary.

4. Review your MyTrips confirmation
After forwarding your itinerary, you will eventually receive a confirmation email from with the subject “Your trip details have now been loaded into MyTrips.” Review the email to make sure your travel information appears correctly. If not, see the contact information for assistance in the email.

Step-by-step Instructions for Registering Your Trip with International SOS.pdf, developed by Education Abroad.

STEP Registration via U.S. State Department

All UTSA students traveling abroad should register themselves in the Department of State STEP (Smart Traveler Enrollment Program) Program.

Current UTSA policy does not allow the program leaders to register groups or programs.

Faculty should reference the U.S. State Department has Consular Information Sheets, which describe entry requirements, currency regulations, unusual health conditions, the crime and security situation, political disturbances, areas of instability, special information about driving and road conditions, and drug penalties.

The information sheets also provide addresses and emergency telephone numbers for U.S. embassies and consulates. They are available for every country of the world.

During a disaster overseas, American consular officers can assist in evacuation if it becomes necessary. They cannot assist you if they do not know where you are.

Registration is particularly important for those who plan to stay in a country longer than one month, or who will travel to:
  • A country that is experiencing civil unrest, has an unstable political climate, or is undergoing a natural disaster, such as an earthquake or a hurricane.
  • A country where there are no U.S. officials. In such cases, you should register at the U.S. embassy or consulate in an adjacent country and leave an itinerary with the Consular Section. Be sure to ask about conditions in the country that you will visit and ask about the third country that may represent U.S. interests there.
  • If you are traveling with an escorted tour to areas experiencing political uncertainty or other problems, find out if your tour operator is registering your trip through the U.S. Department of State’s travel registration program.
  • If it is not, or if you are traveling on your own, you can still register with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate through the U.S. Department of State.

Export Controls

What are export controls?
Export controls are U.S. laws and regulations that govern the export of strategically important technology, services and information, including equipment and technology used in research, for reasons of foreign policy and national security.

The Export Administration Regulations and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations are the bodies of regulations most likely to affect research institutions. Additionally, the U.S. government, through the Office of Foreign Assets Control regulations, maintains boycotts and embargoes of certain countries that can affect many of the activities and financial transactions that take place in an academic institution.

How do export controls affect my study abroad program at UTSA?
Travel to most countries does not usually constitute an export control problem.

However, any export of technology, even temporarily, is subject to U.S. export control regulations and, in some cases, the host country’s import regulations. This can apply even to laptops and other widely available technologies. Additionally, certain entities have been placed on “restricted-party” lists that could prohibit us from doing business with them.

The UTSA Office of Export Control has a website devoted to the forms, procedures and resources that you will need for your international activities.

What do I need to do before leaving on a study abroad program?
Ensure that your destination is not subject to a boycott or embargo (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, etc.). If it is, licenses must be obtained and additional restrictions could apply to the program – start early!

If UTSA is entering into an agreement or contract with a foreign entity in conjunction with your study abroad program, restricted party screening will be run prior to entering the agreement or contract to ensure that the entity does not appear on any restricted-party list.

If UTSA property (laptops, PDAs, etc.) is being exported during the study abroad, follow the normal procedure for clearing it through the Office of Research Integrity office.

If the study abroad involves conducting or collaborating on research abroad, or the students and/or faculty are planning to take potentially export-controlled research with them, contact the Officeo fo Research Integrity.

Where can I get help with an export control question at UTSA?
Visit the Office of Research Integrity - Export Control website.
Call ORI at 458-4531.