Barcelona SAE is proud to announce our NEW virtual internships! Gain practical international experience in your field, build your resumé, and participate in our professional and intercultural internship curriculum…all while staying close to home.
The remote workplace has become a reality, making it a great time to build your resume and gain international professional work experience without leaving home. We’ve created the Barcelona SAE Virtual Internship program to be affordable, environmentally friendly, and culturally engaging – bringing you the same benefits of our premier in-person internship program straight to your laptop.
You will be matched with a Spanish company through our personalized placement process with US advisors and our Barcelona-based internships team. The work is mostly independent and the specific schedule for each intern will vary slightly according to the needs of their company. Students will be expected to spend approximately 20 hours each week working on projects, and while each internship is unique, here are some examples of tasks that may apply: research projects, business development, operations, administration, social media, content creation, finance, competitor analysis, etc.
All participants will have access to the Barcelona SAE Coaching Café, a set time to log on and chat with our staff and other interns as you progress in your experience. Programs are available for 6, 8 or 12 weeks during the Fall + Spring Semesters and 6 or 8 weeks during the Summer.
We offer a wide range of virtual internship placements for the following majors:
- Event Planning
- Finance & Economics
- Graphic Design
- Human Resources & PR
- NGO – Social Work
We do not offer Virtual Internships for academic credit, however, many of our virtual interns have been able to arrange credit approval through their home institution. Contact your study abroad office, academic advisor, or career services to see if this option is available at your school.
- Minimum G.P.A. Requirement: 2.5
- Class Requirement: Freshman-Senior Standing
- Availability to be online during Barcelona work hours for biweekly check ins with your supervisor (sometime between 9am-6pm local time in Barcelona)
- Reliable internet connection
- Personal computer
- Language Requirement: Although helpful, no previous Spanish language knowledge is required.
WHY INTERN VIRTUALLY?
A virtual internship will allow you to gain professional experience and build your resume, while working remotely. The hours are flexible, as you will be working on projects and tasks and checking in with your supervisor twice a week to report progress and findings. While you’re working remotely, you will also participate in group learning sessions, coaching and developing skill sets that will help you get even more out of your internship experience.
Virtual internships are also more affordable since there is no travel involved and better for the environment.
You will begin your virtual internship with a personalized placement process and matching to Spanish company. You’ll then have an orientation and Barcelona SAE staff will be at your side in your first meeting with your supervisor as you set out expectations and tasks for your project.
Once you begin, the work is mostly independent and the specific schedule for each intern will vary slightly according to the needs of their company. You will be expected to spend approximately 20 hours each week working on projects for your internship placement.
In addition, you will be invited to online sessions through the Barcelona SAE Coaching Café, a chance to chat with Barcelona SAE staff and other interns. This is a chance for guided reflection and coaching to help keep you on the path of understanding the cultural, professional, and logistical pieces of work-life in Barcelona.
Add in our Resume Building Toolkit, a final evaluation and letter of recommendation from your supervisor, and you’ll walk away with an experience that will truly set you apart in your job search as more and more companies shift towards remote work cultures.
Our internships are project-based. While each internship is unique, here are some examples of tasks that may apply:
- Research Projects – Carrying out research projects within the industry of the company, identifying key players and searching for new sales opportunities.
- Business Development – Helping the company to make decisions based on data, research and analysis. Developing methods to increase the value of current customers while attracting new ones.
- Operations – Understand the daily tasks of a company and focus on improving the processes in place to maximize efficiency.
- Administration – Creating spreadsheets and preparing presentations, arranging for meetings and managing databases.
- Social Media – Creating social media calendars, editing and posting content in different platforms, engaging the community and finding new leads and influencers
- Content Creation – Improve your communication skills while updating websites, blogging, article writing, or working on visual content through photography, photo editing, videography, graphic design, etc.
- Finance – Research on funds and investors, creation of financial plans and practices for startups.
- Competitor Analysis – Research on competitors from the industry or in other regions to determine if your company is performing at the level of the competition, staying on the cutting edge of new product development, and to determine the competition’s capabilities and positioning.
All Barcelona SAE Virtual Internships Include:
Countdown to the internship:
- Professional Skype Interview
- Cover Letter & Resume Coaching
- Personalized Advising
- Barcelona SAE Coaching Café: Conversation & Reflection
- Pre Departure Session – How to Prepare for your Virtual Professional Internship
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace (USA vs. Spain)
- Intercultural Leadership in a Global World
- Re-Entry Workshop: How to Use This Experience to Land Your Dream Job
- Professional Development Self-Learning Series (Student resources including diversity, best practices, working across cultures, resume tips, etc.)
- Group Coaching Sessions – Log in to a group hangout and reflect on your internship experience with our Barcelona-based coaches (1 hour/week open sessions)
- Monthly Virtual Cultural Agenda: Resources to get to know Barcelona’s local culture including virtual tours, recipes, language exchange opportunities, links to best practices for working remotely, livestream concerts and/or events, and tips to understand Spanish culture
- LinkedIn Chat Group
For Continued Success After the Program:
- Alumni & Career Services
- Invitation to Barcelona SAE’s LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Invitations to Study Abroad & Internship Returnee Conferences Throughout the U.S.
…and SO MUCH MORE!
So…what are you waiting for? APPLY TODAY and get ready to embark on the Barcelona experience of a lifetime!