Along the western coast of Africa lies the bustling capital of Dakar, Senegal. At a crossroads of tradition and modernity, the sprawling city is a magnet of culture, economy and humanitarianism.
For a unique French immersion, students are directly enrolled at Institut Supérieur de Management (ISM) and take classes alongside local and international undergraduates. One-on-one language support, a slate of diverse cultural activities and homestay living make this a memorable semester or year abroad.
|At a Glance
||Language of Instruction: French / English
||Terms: Semester, Year
|Eligibility: 3.0 GPA
||Sophomore standing & above
||B1 starting level (3-4+ semesters of college French or equivalent level)
The program includes:
- Tuition for a full course load & direct enrollment at APA's partner institution, Institut Supérieur de Management
- Customized Language Support: Individual weekly language sessions
- Ongoing academic support
- On-site orientation and academic advising
- Culture package: cultural events and activities, weekend excursion, and a day trip
- Housing: Stay with a carefully chosen host family
Students also receive:
- Airport pick-up upon arrival
- Extracurricular and volunteer opportunities
- Civil liability insurance
- Pre-departure support including Senegal student visa assistance
- Dedicated 24/7 on-site team for support in and outside of the classroom
Please visit apaparis.com for program fees. APA awards two scholarships starting at $500 each semester to participating students. Visit the Scholarship page for more information.
Dakar is the westernmost city in mainland Africa. A prominent hub of the former French colonial empire for nearly three centuries, this francophone influence can be found co-existing alongside the local aspects of life such as language, architecture, cuisine, and education.
ISM is located in the Point E neighborhood of Dakar, located in the southwest portion of the Cap-Vert peninsula, where a mix of residences and businesses can be found.
APA is a boutique program provider in Paris, France with a passion to provide a first-rate study abroad experience that unites academic excellence with the beauty and richness of French and Francophone culture. For over 30 years, students from more than 80 US colleges and universities have received a personalized, immersive education abroad in Paris, France; Dakar, Senegal; Rabat, Morocco; and Fort-de-France, Martinique.
APA handles direct university enrollment and course registration on our students' behalf at the Institut Supérieur de Management (ISM). Founded in 1992, ISM is Senegal’s first private business school. The Dakar campus has just over 4,000 students and in 2017, they joined the 45-member Galileo Global Education network of private higher education institutions. ISM is considered one of the top three business schools in Africa according to JeuneAfrique, the French-language Pan-African news source.
Based on the results of a pre-departure language evaluation, at the B1 French language level and up, students will register for four courses. Students with no French, or who do not meet the B1 language level may be accepted: there is the possibility to take courses in English (management or economics track), and/or to take an intermediate French course.
All courses are four credit hours each. During on-site orientation, students will register for their four classes for the semester.
Students may choose a combination of classes from the following:
- School of Management
- International Management (English track and French track both available)
- Marketing and International trade (bilingual French and English track)
- Accounting and Finance
- Human Resources Management
- Madiba Leadership Institute
- Political Science and International Relations
- Communications and Media
- Journalism and Information
- Management and Cultural Events Production
- School of Engineering
- Management and Technology
- Computer Science applied to Business Administration
- Technology, Transportation and Logistics
- Applied Sciences and Technology
- Software Engineering – Networks and Systems
- Applied Mathematics – Econometry
- Electronics Telecommunications and Embedded Systems
- Computer Science
- Statistical Modelling (economic and financial)
- Digital Engineering
- Web and Multimedia Project Manager
- Designer and Developer of Digital Solutions
- Independent Study: Replace one class with an independent study or research in French. Requires pre-approval by your home institution
Customized Language Support
- Weekly one-hour meetings with a French professor
- Oral and written expression and comprehension exercises
- Academic French writing practice
- Proofreading review prior to handing in a university paper
- Exclusive faculty office hours
- Course-specific tutoring
- Methodology workshops
- One-on-one mid-semester meetings to ensure that you are doing well in classes.
Bundled into the program is a culture package for every student. With a lively and vibrant artistic scene, take advantage of all that Dakar has to offer!
- Four performing arts shows or cultural events: concerts, theater, film, etc.
- Interacting in Wolof: 90-minute weekly lessons in the local language
- Introduction to African arts – two seminars:
- Music & Senegalese Identities
- West African Visual Arts: Discovering Art Galleries & Musuems
- Volunteer, extracurricular and cultural exchange opportunities
- Day trip to Gorée Island
- Fall semester weekend excursion: Sine Saloum Delta
- Spring semester weekend excursion: Saint Louis
APA carefully matches each student to a host family through a detailed housing questionnaire. Only one student is matched per host family and is provided with a private bedroom with linens, access to common areas including the kitchen, daily breakfast and dinner and weekly laundry.
The program is open to students with sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate level class standing and a minimum 3.0 GPA. At least a B1 French language level (approximately 3-4+ semesters of college-level French or equivalent) will be necessary to follow courses taught in French. Students with no French, or who do not meet the B1 language level may be accepted: there is the possibility to take courses in English (management or economics track), and/or to take an intermediate French course.
October 15: Spring semester applicants
March 15: Fall semester and academic year applicants
Just as you are excited about studying abroad, we are as eager to welcome you to Dakar!
The online application consists of submitting the following parts:
- Background information and personal statement
- Official transcript
- University approval form
- 2 recommendation letters: one from a French professor, one from a professor in your major or academic advisor
Your application will only be reviewed once these pieces are received. After, a member of the APA team will contact you to schedule a short, friendly Zoom conversation in English and French so that we may learn more about you and why you would like to study in Dakar.
Please note: Your home institution may have its own study abroad application requirements and deadlines. It is your responsibility to make sure they are all completed in the proper, timely manner.
If you have any questions, we welcome you to contact the APA US office by scheduling a Zoom call, sending an email at email@example.com or by phone at 203-883-8200. A team member will respond to you as soon as possible.