Take linguistic and cultural understanding to the next level: For an unforgettable semester, spend five weeks each in Paris, France; Rabat, Morocco; and Dakar, Senegal. The time spent in each location will illuminate the nuances of these interwoven societies.
|At a Glance
|Locations: Paris, Rabat, Dakar
||Language of Instruction: French
|Eligibility: 3.0 GPA
||Junior standing & above
||4+ semesters of college French or equivalent (B1-B2 level)
The program includes:
- Tuition for a full course load
- Customized language support
- Ongoing academic support
- Culture package: 9 cultural events, 3 day trips, 3 weekend excursions
- Housing: Stay with carefully chosen host families
Students also receive:
- Airport pick-up upon arrival
- Return air travel to Paris at the conclusion of the program
- Air travel between host cities
- Return air travel to Paris at the conclusion of the program
- On-site orientation
- Civil liability insurance
- Pre-departure support including visa assistance, if needed
- Dedicated 24/7 on-site team for support in and outside of the classroom for things like tutoring, cell phones, doctor appointments, and more
Please visit apaparis.com for program fees. APA awards two scholarships starting at $500 to participating students. Visit the Scholarship page for more information.
Paris: Home to some of the world's best-known monuments and art, this multi-cultural city has been the source of inspiration, and debate, for residents and visitors alike for centuries.
Rabat: This walled coastal city sports the eclectic influence of its many inhabitants throughout history: Barbary pirates, the Berbers, Spanish Moors, and the French.
Dakar: Capital of one of the most stable, democratic, and economically-key countries of West Africa, Dakar has a welcoming and lively culture centered around family, music, and storytelling.
APA is a boutique program provider in Paris, France with a passion to provide a first-rate study abroad experience that unites academic excellence with the beauty and richness of French and Francophone culture. For over 30 years, students from more than 80 US colleges and universities have received a personalized, immersive education abroad in Paris, France; Dakar, Senegal; Rabat, Morocco; and Fort-de-France, Martinique.
Build Your Schedule
Register for four courses:
Take one common course with your cohort:
- Introduction to France, Morocco and Senegal: Three Worlds, One Language
Choose your remaining three courses from the following:
- Development Economics: Findings and Perspectives
- Emigration from Africa to Europe: Between the Strong Southern Migratory Aspiration and the Protectionism of Northern "El Dorado"
- French Colonialism and Decolonization: France, Morocco, Senegal
- Gender, Feminism in Transnational Contexts
- Intersecting Perspectives on Visual Arts in 19th-21st Century Paris, Rabat, Dakar
- Islam, Politics and Identity: France, the Maghreb & West Africa
- Passages through Francophone Cities
All courses are conducted in French and each course receives four credit hours. View the course syllabi on our website, apaparis.com
Customized Language Support
Language evaluations taken in Paris will determine placement in specific groups for two hours of French language support each week by level. The tailored small-groups will favor conversation and participation.
In addition, learn key terms and phrases in Arabic and Wolof, two languages often heard in their respective cities of Rabat and Dakar. Two hours will be offered during the mini-acclimation sessions to provide a crash course in the local languages and further aid in your immersion, followed by one hour a week in Arabic and Wolof while in Morocco and Senegal.
- Proofreading sessions
- Course-specific tutoring
- Methodology workshops
Bundled into the program is a culture package for every student. With three vibrant cities, experience what makes each unique!
Take part in a series of activities and events designed to showcase the unique cultures of the host cities. Theater in Paris, dance in Rabat, and concerts in Dakar are just a few in the line up! Three events are scheduled in each location.
- Paris: Versailles
- Rabat: Brachoua
- Dakar: Gorée Island
- Paris: Burgundy (fall) and Mont St. Michel and St. Malo (spring)
- Rabat: Fez and Volubilis
- Dakar: Sine Saloum Delta
Have the independence to pursue your interests and explore Paris, Rabat, and Dakar and at the end of the day come home to the support of a welcoming host family. With APA's care and attention to matches, it is no surprise that a student's homestay is often one of their fondest memories!
All hosts provide a private bedroom with linens and daily breakfast. Paris and Rabat hosts prepare five meals per week and Dakar hosts prepare seven.
The program is open to students with junior, senior, or graduate level class standing and a minimum 3.0 GPA. At least a B1 French language level (approximately 4 or more semesters of college-level French or equivalent) will be necessary to follow courses taught in French.
October 15: Spring semester applicants
March 15: Fall semester applicants
Just as you are excited about studying abroad, we are as eager to welcome you! Our application process is designed so that we can learn the most about you as a person: your academics, future plans, interests and hobbies, and even your picture so we can put a face to your name.
The online application consists of submitting the following parts:
- Background information and personal statement
- Official transcript
- University approval form
- 2 recommendation letters: one from a French professor, one from a professor in your major or academic advisor
- $35 application fee (waived for students on full financial aid or from APA institutional partners)
Your application will only be reviewed once these pieces are received. After, a member of the APA team will contact you to schedule a short, friendly Zoom conversation in English and French so that we may learn more about you and why you would like to study in Paris.
Please note: Your home institution may have its own study abroad application requirements and deadlines. It is your responsibility to make sure they are all completed in the proper, timely manner.
If you have any questions, we welcome you to contact the APA US office by scheduling a Zoom call, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 203-883-8200. A team member will respond to you as soon as possible.